If there’s one thing that all humans get equally, it’s time. And how wisely we use and manage our time is the biggest indicator of whether we will achieve our goals or not. That’s why the importance of time and time management cannot be stressed upon enough. To help you make the most of your time, we’ve dug into our bag of tested and trusted time management tips.
Here are 10 tips for time management:
1. Plan your tasks better.One of the biggest flaws with time management is not planning your tasks and time properly. What does this mean? We’re talking about things like underestimating the time needed to finish something and the time that you actually will need to finish something. Sure, your neighbour can bake a cake in one hour tops. But remember that it takes you one hour to just sort out the ingredients needed! We guess it all boils down to self-awareness – understand your strengths and weaknesses and make your plans accordingly.
2. Leave scope for chaos.As we all know, the best made plans can go to waste. After all, there are so many factors that you cannot control, like the weather, economic climate, the behaviour of others or their general availability. So, do yourself a favour and bake in some buffer into your perfect plan. Will save you a lot of headaches later!
3. Make to-do lists for tomorrow.We don’t know about you, but our idea of a perfect day ends with us making a list of to-dos for the next day. At a psychological level, it helps humans control or at least seemingly control their environment and all its variables. It helps you get some closure at the end of a day and come back better prepared for the next day.
4. Do less, but better.This is the number one thing that most high-achievers do. They spend more time on the few, but important tasks. The tasks that will make all the difference. Some people even attest to the power of getting the most important task done during the beginning of the day itself. Keeps procrastination at bay as well.
5. Embrace remote work and telecommuting.With the pandemic going on, more and more people around the world are working from home. This also helps them cut down on the time and energy spent in simply commuting to and from work. It also means you get greater focus and energy levels. Oh, and it’s so much easier for you to work from home given the abundance of remote working and collaboration tools like Slack, Zoom, and Notion.
6. Find your productive time zones.Some people swear by sitting down to work the minute they get up, or as soon as they’ve had their morning coffee. Whereas others get into the productive ninja mode only after half the usual work day is done and dusted. Thankfully, a lot of offices and gigs let you keep your own hours and work when you are most productive. Whatever your productive time zone is, we do recommend sticking to a routine and building daily habits
7. Build up your focus superpowers.How well you focus makes all the difference between good and best. No matter how hardworking or talented you are, if you are unable to focus, you will struggle to succeed. But easier said than done, right? Well, one of the best ways to build up focus is to train your mind, move your body, and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
8. Say no to distractions.Raise your hand if you are guilty of opening multiple tabs on your browser, surfing Instagram and forwarding WhatsApp messages all at the same time? We get it. Sometimes we get distracted because we are bored with the task at hand, are anxious about the outcome, or just have a hard time focusing. Whatever be the reason, in addition to getting to the root cause, try and set yourself up for success. This means decluttering your workspace, banishing all social media notifications, and stowing away your phone for later. Whatever helps you focus better.
9. Look for hidden patterns in your work and output.One of the best things you can do is actually log the time you spend on various activities and then review your time sheet at the end of seven days. This will help you check whether you’re actually sticking to a time management plan and whether the plan is working. From there, stick to the good stuff and mend the rest.
10. Rinse and repeat.Rome was not built in a single day and neither are good habits. That’s why it’s important to follow the same routine and follow these steps until you get the perfect bake!
What do you think? Will you make the most of the time you have? Only time will tell – if you manage it well!