If there’s any garment that has made it through the decades relatively unchanged and in one piece (pun intended), it has to be the saree! In India, the sari has been worn by women in all stages and walks of life, ranging from the workplace to the home space. And it’s definitely not going out of style anytime soon. While we usually think of the saree as something to wear to personal events and functions (thanks to Sabyasachi, Tarun Tahiliani, and almost every Bollywood film), it’s actually a great choice for the workplace as well. In fact, women are increasingly preferring to wear a sari at work. Why? Because it makes a statement like no other garment. Don’t we all remember that first boss who made an impression by flaunting a breezy chiffon, or our favourite teacher who rocked the campus in her signature khadi?
Need more reasons to make the saree your first choice for work? Here are the top 5 reasons to wear a saree to work:
1. Makes you stand out from the crowd.Considering the casual dressing in workplaces nowadays, wearing a saree will make you an eye turner. It shows that you made a little extra effort to dress up, signifying that you consider every day, in the office or not, a reason to dress up and celebrate life. Wearing a saree makes every day a special occasion. It can help you stand out from the crowd and give you a unique style quotient.
2. Works like a charm.One of the toughest things to achieve with your attire is grace and elegance. But these are the very things that will set the saree-wearer apart from the crowd. A saree is the perfect professional attire as it extends grace, charm, and elegance to the wearer. It enhances a woman’s personality like no other garment. Six yards of fabric can create oodles of magic.
3. Flatters all shapes and sizes.Many of us have reservations when it comes to choosing our work attire if we are not the stereotypical body type. But the beauty of the saree is that it makes the wearer feel and look perfect. A saree suits every body type and brings out the best features in any physique. A heavier person will look slimmer, a short person will look taller, a tall person will look more balanced, etc.
4. Helps you create versatile looks.
If you’re one of those women who think that less is more and seek to create many different looks with a few pieces of clothing, look no further than the saree. You can create different looks with one saree by changing the draping style, blouse and accessories, and wear something new to work every day. Its versatility makes for a sound investment as a saree can never go out of fashion. With creativity, it can be reinvented every day. We think that Marie Kondo would approve of a saree!
5. Good for your financial health.As every woman will tell you, changes in body size, taste, and fashion are inevitable. That’s why we are often stuck with a wardrobe that we no longer enjoy or fit into. Why not think of the long term? Sarees are the most economical garment in your wardrobe because no matter the inevitable changes in your weight or size over the years, the saree will always fit. One size fits all and always! The only thing you need to switch and adjust are the accessories.
So the next time you’re thinking about how to make a statement at work, go for the saree. Wearing a saree to work will definitely give the edge to your personality in the workplace. Just choose the right colors, prints, draping style, and accessories suitable to your workplace.